food interaction for PRAVATOR
alcohol interaction for PRAVATOR
pregnancy interaction for PRAVATOR
lactation interaction for PRAVATOR
medicine interaction for PRAVATOR
Human and animal studies have shown significant adverse effects on the foetus. Please consult your doctor.
SALT INFORMATION FOR PRAVATOR
How it works
Common side effects
SUBSTITUTES FOR PRAVATORNo substitutes found
Expert advice FOR PRAVATOR
- Take Pravastatin only as prescribed by your doctor.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking Pravastatin, it may worsen the adverse effects of this medicine on the liver.
- Notify your doctor if you experience unexplained muscle pain or weakness, which can lead to serious kidney problems.
- Do not take Niacin with Pravastatin. Niacin may increase Pravastatin's side effects on the muscles, which can lead to serious kidney problems.
- Notify the doctor that you are taking this medicine before undergoing any kind of surgery.
- Notify your doctor immediately if you are or are planning to become pregnant during the administration of this medicine.
Frequently asked questions FOR PRAVATOR
Q. Is pravastatin a statin drug/ statin/ blood thinner/ beta blocker/diuretic?
Pravastatin belongs to a class of medicines called HMG CoA reductase inhibitors, commonly called statins. It is not a blood thinner or a beta blocker or diuretic. It has no known effects on viscosity of blood, inhibiting beta receptors or increasing urine output
Q. Is pravastatin the same as atorvastatin/ simvastatin/ Crestor?
No. Pravastatin, atorvastatin, simvastatin and rosuvastatin (Crestor) are different drugs belonging to same class of HMG CoA reductase inhibitors or statins. They are different drugs with similar mechanism of action
Q. Can I take pravastatin with metformin/ aspirin/ ibuprofen/ Tylenol/ Tums/ Benadryl?
Pravastatin has no known harmful interaction with metformin, aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen (Tylenol), Tums (antacids) or diphenhydramine (Benadryl
Q. Can I take pravastatin with niacin?
Concomitant use of pravastatin with niacin should be avoided due to increased risk of developing muscle related disorders (myopathy/rhabdomyolysis)
Q. Does pravastatin cause diabetes?
Some studies suggest that statins like pravastatin may increase blood glucose is patients who are at high risk of developing diabetes. However, it is not a reason to stop pravastatin treatment in such patients
Q. Does pravastatin cause erectile dysfunction/ gas/ liver damage/ headaches or makes you feel tired/ joint pain/ night sweats?
Erectile dysfunction, gas, liver damage (elevation in liver enzymes), headaches and unusual tiredness (fatigue) are among the known side effects of pravastatin use. Joint pain and night sweats and not among the known side effects of pravastatin use
Q. Does pravastatin work?
Pravastatin is used to lower the risk of heart diseases and reduce high blood cholesterol.The effectiveness of pravastatin may vary upon individual response
Q. Is pravastatin safe to take?
Yes. Pravastatin is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration, as advised by your doctor.