SALT INFORMATIONAcetyl Cysteine(600 mg)
Acetyl cysteine is used for the treatment of liver toxicity caused by paracetamol overdose. It is also used to thin and loosen the mucus in the airway due to certain lung diseases (bronchitis, pneumonia) and for the relief of dry eye syndromes associated with deficient tear secretion.
How it works
Acetyl cysteine acts against the chemicals ( metabolites) that are produced during paracetamol overdose. In lung diseases, it helps in thinning the mucus which helps in clearing the mucus from the lungs.
Common side effects
Hemoptysis, Rhinorrhea, Chest tightness, Diarrhea and oral ulcers, Thickening of bronchial secretions, Nausea, Bronchospasm, Fever, Vomiting, Drowsiness, Respiratory tract infections
- MUCINAC TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Cipla LtdRs. 19.50/tabletRs. 195pay 160% more per tablet
- MUCOTAB TABLET(10 tablet in strip)ZYDUS CADILARs. 19.70/tabletRs. 197pay 163% more per tablet
- MUCOMIX 600MG TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Samarth Life Sciences Pvt LtdRs. 16/tabletRs. 160pay 113% more per tablet
- EFFENAC TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt LtdRs. 15.60/tabletRs. 156pay 108% more per tablet
- MUCOTAB ET TABLET(10 tablet in strip)ZYDUS CADILARs. 16.30/tabletRs. 163pay 117% more per tablet
- Do not start or continue the acetyl cysteine if you are allergic to acetyl cysteine.
- Consult your doctor before starting acetyl cysteine if you have lung diseases like asthma and bronchospasm.
Frequently asked questions
Q. What are n acetyl cysteine/Fourts-B/Mucinac 600 mg/Mucinac/Nefrosave/Nefrosave Forte used for?
These are brand names of acetyl cysteine. Nefrosave/Nefrosave Forte is used for the treatment of liver toxicity due to paracetamol overdose; Mucinac 600 mg/Mucinac/are used to thin and loosen the mucus in the airway due to certain lung diseases. Fourt-B is combination of acetyl cysteine and multivitamins, and is used for both treatment of paracetamol overdose and in acute cough with excessive or viscous mucus.
Q. What is Nacfil Forte/Nacfil/Ovacare Forte used for?
Nacfil Forte/Nacfil/Ovacare Forte contains acetyl cysteine, but it is used for the treatment of certain lung diseases. Always consult your doctor regarding its use.
Q. Does n-acetyl cysteine increase glutathione?
Yes, n-acetyl cysteine increases glutathione.
Q. Does n-acetyl cysteine cause weight gain?
N-acetyl cysteine causing this side effect is rare or uncommon. However, consult your doctor if you experience any of these side effects.
Q. How does n-acetyl cysteine work?
n-Acetyl cysteine works as antidote by reducing liver toxicity of NAPQI (n-acetyl-p-benzo-quinoneimine), a metabolic substance that is produced following high dose of paracetamol. It also helps in thinning the mucus which helps in clearing the mucus from the lungs.