SALT INFORMATIONOlmesartan(20 mg)
Olmesartan is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension), prevention and treatment of heart attack (Myocardial Infarction) and heart failure; when heart is unable to pump sufficient blood. It is also used in patients of diabetes with kidney failure.
How it works
Olmesartan belongs to a class of medications called angiotensin II receptor inhibitors. Angiotensin II is a chemical that causes muscles surrounding the blood vessels to contract, thereby narrowing the blood vessels. Olmesartan blocks the action of angiotensin II resulting in relaxation of blood vessels, and thus, reduces blood pressure.
Common side effects
Hoarseness, Allergic reactions may include swelling of tongue, Difficulty in breathing, Diarrhoea, Weight loss, Swelling of face and lips, Swelling of hands and feet, Difficulty in swallowing
- OLMEZEST 20MG TABLET(1 tablet in strip)Sun Pharma Laboratories LtdRs. 85/tabletRs. 85pay 5% more per tablet
- OLMESAR-20 TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt LtdRs. 8.70/tabletRs. 87save 89% more per tablet
- OLMAT-20 TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Micro Labs LtdRs. 8.50/tabletRs. 85save 90% more per tablet
- OLMY-20 TABLET(10 tablet in strip)ZYDUS CADILARs. 10.40/tabletRs. 104save 87% more per tablet
- OLVANCE-20 TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Ranbaxy Laboratories LtdRs. 9.65/tabletRs. 96.50save 88% more per tablet
- Take olmesartan tablets at about the same time each day.
- Swallow the tablets with a sufficient amount of water and do not chew the tablet.
- Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, or you may feel dizzy. Get up slowly and steady yourself to prevent a fall.
- Avoid drinking alcohol as it may increase certain side effects of the drug.
- Consult your doctor about any dizziness, fatigue, cough, or throat irritation that doesn't go away.
- Do not start or continue the olmesartan tablets and consult your doctor if you have a history of angioedema (eg, swelling of the hands, face, lips, eyes, throat, or tongue; difficulty swallowing or breathing; hoarseness).
- Do not atake the medicine if you are pregnant.
- Consult your doctor before taking this medicine if you are breast feeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q. What is olmesartan medoxomil?
Olmesartan medoxomil is available as olmezest or Benicar is an angiotensin II receptor blocker. It is not beta blocker or ACE inhibitor.
Q. Is olmesartan better than telmisartan or losartan?
No, the effects of olmesartan, telmisartan or losartan are similar but may vary upon individual response.
Q. Is olmesartan a blood thinner / statin?
No, olmesartan decreases the pressure in the blood vessels and increases the amount of fluid removed from the blood by the kidneys.
Q. Is olmesartan safe?
Olmesartan is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. Does olmesartan cause impotence?
No, olmesartan does not cause impotence.