food interaction for ISTAMET
alcohol interaction for ISTAMET
pregnancy interaction for ISTAMET
lactation interaction for ISTAMET
Taking metformin with alcohol may cause lactic acidosis and you may experience malaise, respiratory distress, slow or irregular heartbeat, somnolence, abdominal upset, or other unusual symptoms.
Animal studies have shown low or no adverse effect on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. Please consult your doctor.
SALT INFORMATION for ISTAMET
How it works
Common side effects
How it works
Common side effects
Common Dosage for ISTAMET 50 MG/500 MG TABLET
Patients taking ISTAMET 50 MG/500 MG TABLET
- 53%Twice A Day
- 44%Once A Day
- 2%Thrice A Day
SUBSTITUTES for ISTAMET
- JANUMET 50 MG/500 MG TABLET(15 tablets in strip)MSD Pharmaceuticals Pvt LtdRs. 23.17/tabletRs. 347.59same price
- ZITA MET TABLET 50MG/500MG(10 tablets in strip)Glenmark Pharmaceuticals LtdRs. 14.88/tabletRs. 148.83save 36% more per tablet
- Dr. T. Rajdev PatroMBBS, Diploma, Diploma, Diploma, DNB, Diploma, Fellowship, Fellowship, Fellowship
- Dr. Raman AbhiMBBS, MD
- Dr. Neelima MishraMBBS, MD
- Dr. Rajesh KumarMBBS, MD, Diploma, CCT
- Dr. J. K. SharmaMBBS, MD, Fellowship, Fellowship, Fellowship, Fellowship
Expert advice for ISTAMET
- Do not start or continue the sitagliptin tablets if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to sitagliptin or any of the other ingredients of sitagliptin.
- Consult your doctor if you experience any of these side effects: stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, or loss of appetite, serious allergic reactions like skin rash, fever, swelling and difficulty in breathing.
- Type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis or diabetic coma.
- Kidney problems or liver problems.
- Severe infection or are dehydrated.
- Heart attack or have severe circulatory problems, such as shock or breathing difficulties.
- High triglycerides level.
- Stones in gall bladder.
- Inflammation of pancreas (pancreatitis).
Frequently asked questions for ISTAMET
Q.Is sitagliptin/ Januvia safe?
Sitagliptin/ Januvia is safe at the prescribed dose by the doctor. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q.Is sitagliptin/ Januvia generic?
Sitagliptin is generic drug; Januvia is a brand name of sitagliptin
Q.Is sitagliptin/ Januvia banned in India?
No. Sitagliptin is available in India
Q.Is sitagliptin better than vildagliptin?
Sitagliptin and vildagliptin belong to same class of drugs and are equally effective and safe in treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Always consult your doctor for an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q.Is sitagliptin FDA approved?
Yes. Sitagliptin is FDA approved
Q.Is sitagliptin a statin/ insulin/ metformin?
No. Sitagliptin belongs to class of medications called dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitors and is a different drug than statin/insulin/metformin
Q.Is sitagliptin/Januvia a blood thinner?
Sitagliptin/Januvia is specifically used for treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus and not a blood thinner. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q.Can I take Januvia with metformin/ insulin/ glipizide/ Victoza/ Lantus/ glyburide/ glimepiride/ Actos / Byetta/ Bydureon?
Sitagliptin can be taken in combination with other antidiabetic drugs, when prescribed by doctor. Always follow doctor’s advice regarding its use
Q.Does sitagliptin cause weight loss/ constipation/ joint pain/ itching/ hypoglycemia/ pancreatitis/ cancer/ dry mouth?
Sitagliptin may cause weight loss, constipation, itching, hypoglycemia, joint pain and pancreatitis. It does not cause cancer or dry mouth. However, consult your doctor if you experience any of these side effects
Q.Does Januvia make you sleepy?
No. Januvia does not make you sleepy. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.
Q.Is Metformin a birth control pill/ insulin / statin/ banned drug?
Metformin (also available as glyciphage, glycomet, glycomet SR) is an antidiabetic drug used in treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus, particularly in overweight patients, as an adjunct to the diet and exercise
Q.Is metformin safe?
Metformin is generally safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q.Can I take metformin forever?
Metformin should be taken at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q.Is metformin good for weight loss / weight loss in non-diabetics?
Metformin is used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus, particularly in overweight patients.