SALT INFORMATIONSevelamer(800 mg)
Sevelamer is used for treating high phosphate levels in the blood (hyperphosphatemia) in adult patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) on dialysis, receiving hemodialysis (a machine and a special filter is used to clean the blood) or peritoneal dialysis (inside lining of your own belly is used as a natural filter to clean the blood, by means of a cleansing fluid to wash in and out of your belly). It could be also used with calcium and vitamin D supplements to control the development of bone disease due to impaired kidney function.
How it works
Sevelamer acts by binding the phosphate molecule from food in the digestive tract and decreases its absorption and consequently lowers the phosphate levels in the blood.
Common side effects
Increased serum chloride levels, Nausea, Acidity, Vomiting, Upper abdominal pain, Increase in blood acidity, Constipation, Diarrhea
- SEVCAR-800 TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Emcure Pharmaceuticals LtdRs. 40.09/tabletRs. 400.90save 9% more per tablet
- ACUTROL C 800MG TABLET(1 tablet in strip)Intas Pharmaceuticals LtdRs. 359/tabletRs. 359pay 717% more per tablet
- RENVELA 800MG TABLET(30 tablet in strip)Sanofi India LtdRs. 42/tabletRs. 1260save 4% more per tablet
- REVLAMER 800MG TABLET(1 tablet in strip)Sun Pharma Laboratories LtdRs. 127/tabletRs. 127pay 189% more per tablet
- SEVBAIT 800MG TABLET(10 tablet in strip)Panacea Biotec LtdRs. 33/tabletRs. 330save 25% more per tablet
Take sevelamer tablets with meals.
Avoid taking any other medicines within 1 hour before or 3 hours after you take sevelamer.
Do not start or continue sevelamer and consult your doctor:
- if you have allergy to sevelamer.
- if you have problems with bowel motility such as feeling of fullness, urge to vomit (nausea), vomiting, constipation, prolonged loose motions (diarrhea) or pain in the abdomen (symptoms of active inflammatory bowel disease).
- if you have undergone major surgery on your stomach or bowel.
Do not take calcium or other mineral supplements without your doctor's advice.
Frequently asked questions
Q. What is sevelamer carbonate/sevelamer hydrochloride?
Sevelamer is available in 2 forms - Sevelamer carbonate and sevelamer hydrochloride. Both are same in function and used to treat hyperphosphatemia (increased blood phosphate level).
Q. What is role of sevelamer in dialysis?
Sevelamer is used in patient who requires dialysis to remove extra phosphate from the blood. However, it should not be given to patients who are about to undergo dialysis soon.