SALT INFORMATIONFluconazole(50 mg)
Fluconazole is used to treat fungal infections of the mouth, throat and food pipe (oropharyngeal and esophageal candidiasis), abdomen, lungs, blood, female genital infections (like vaginal candidiasis) and other organs. Fluconazole is also used to treat fungal infection of the membranes covering the brain and spinal cord (cryptococcal meningitis/ fungal meningitis).
How it works
Fluconazole belongs to class of antifungals called triazoles. Fluconazole acts mainly by preventing the growth of fungi. It interacts with chemicals inside the fungus and prevents the synthesis of an essential component of fungal cell membrane (ergosterol); this results in leakage of cellular contents from fungal cell, ultimately killing the fungi.
Common side effects
Common: Headache, indigestion, increase in blood levels of certain chemicals, or burning of skin, abdominal pain, abnormal sensation of tingling, sensation of spinning or rotation, vomiting, tickling, urge to vomit, loose motions, rashes.Low hemoglobin or red blood cells, dizziness, sleepiness, abnormal decrease in white blood cell count., inability to sleep, pricking, fits, altered taste sensation
- Do not start or continue fluconazole and consult your doctor, If you are pregnant, suspect you might be pregnant or are breast feeding.
- do not start or continue fluconazole and consult your doctor, If you have penile sores, ulcers or blisters or if you have an abnormal penile discharge (leakage), if you have pain on passing urine or if your penis has started to smell (odor).
- Consult your doctor if the symptoms have not been relieved within one week of taking fluconazole.
- Do not take alcohol while you are having this medication.
- If you're on birth control pills, Fluconazole can make them less effective. Consider using another method (condoms, diaphragms) along with the pills.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Are fluconazole/ Flucos 150/Zocon kit/ Forcan/Syscan150 safe?
Yes, fluconazole (also available Flucos 150/Zocon kit/ Forcan/Syscan150) is safe, if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. Is fluconazole a steroid?
No, fluconazole is not a steroid. It belongs to bis-triazole class of antifungal agents.
Q. Is fluconazole safe in pregnancy and during breast feeding?
Fluconazole must be avoided during pregnancy and breast feeding unless required for a life threatening fungal infection.
Q. Can fluconazole be used for conditions such as UTI (urinary tract infections), BV (bacterial vaginosis), ring worms, bladder infections?
Fluconazole can be taken in fungal infections of the urinary tract, which themselves are rare. Fluconazole is not recommended in BV (bacterial vaginosis), ring worms and bladder infections.
Q. Can fluconazole be taken with oral contraceptives or birth control pills?
Yes, fluconazole can be taken with contraceptives and birth control pills.
Q. Can fluconazole be taken with drugs such as azithromycin and metronidazole?
Yes, fluconazole can be safely taken with azithromycin and metronidazole. A combination kit with agents of similar class is available for vaginal infections.
Q. Can fluconazole be taken with milk and food?
Fluconazole can be taken with or without milk and other food products.
Q. Can fluconazole cause hair loss?
No, fluconazole does not cause hair loss. However, if you experience such side effects, please consult your doctor.