SALT INFORMATIONPropranolol(20 mg)
It is used to treat high blood pressure, abnormal heart rhythm, heart disease, anxiety and uncontrolled shaking (tremors), chest pain and migraine headaches. It is also used to prevent bleeding in the stomach and food pipe in patients with swollen blood vessels due to liver disease.
How it works
Propranolol belongs to a class of medications called beta blockers. Propranolol works by blocking the action of certain natural chemicals in the body (such as epinephrine) that affect the heart and blood vessels. This effect reduces heart rate, blood pressure, and strain on the heart.
Common side effects
Sleep disturbance, Increase in blood glucose, Bronchospasm, Severely restricted blood flow to the fingers and toes, And fatigue., Sexual dysfunction, Conduction disorder, Decreased heart beat, Hypotension, Acute dyspnea, Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Take propranolol at the same time each day
- Do not skip doses or stop using propranolol suddenly as it may make your condition worse.
- Take the missed dose as soon as you remember; skip the missed dose if your next dose is less than 4 hours away (for short acting propranolol medication) or less than 8 hours away (for extended release propranolol).
- The medicine can cause dizziness for the first few days. Avoid driving and performing activities that require you to be alert till you know how the drug affects you
- Avoid drinking alcohol. It may increase your blood levels of propranolol.
- Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, or you may feel dizzy. Get up slowly and steady yourself to prevent a fall.
- Check your blood pressure after one week and consult your doctor if it has not improved
- Do not take Propranolol if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to propranolol hydrochloride or any of the other ingredients of this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
What is betacap tr, inderal, and ciplar?
These are various brand (proprietary) names for propranolol medicine. Propranolol is a beta blocker drug which works to correct the heart rhythm.
Is propranolol safe?
Propranolol belongs to beta blocker class and works on heart rhythm so caution has to be observed before usage. Always ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking propranolol. Propranolol is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Is propranolol addictive?
No. Propranolol doesn’t seem to have habit forming potential.
Is propranolol MAO inhibitor or a statin?
No. Propranolol belongs to a medical class called beta blockers and works to correct abnormal heart rhythm along with other uses.
Is propranolol safe for long term use?
Yes, it can be used for long term based on indication.
Is propranolol available over the counter?
No. Propranolol is available only when a valid prescription is produced.
Is propranolol used to treat anxiety?
Yes. Propranolol can be used to mitigate tremors associated with the anxiety.
Is propranolol used for migraines?
In certain situations, propranolol has proved to be effective in preventing migraine attacks but additional data is required to support this usage.