food interaction for CHOLTRAN
alcohol interaction for CHOLTRAN
pregnancy interaction for CHOLTRAN
lactation interaction for CHOLTRAN
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor.
SALT INFORMATION for CHOLTRAN
How it works
Common side effects
SUBSTITUTES for CHOLTRANNo substitutes found
- Dr. R. R. KasliwalMBBS, MD, DM, Fellowship
- Dr. Manjinder SandhuMBBS, MD, DNB, DM, Fellowship, Fellowship
- Dr. Sumeet SethiMBBS, DNB, DM
- Dr. Monik MehtaMBBS, MD, DM, Fellowship
- Dr. Tapan GhoseMBBS, DNB, MD, DNB, Fellowship, Fellowship
Expert advice for CHOLTRAN
- Inform your doctor before taking the drug if you have phenylketonuria.
- Children may require administration of folic acid with cholestyramine. Cholestyramine is not recommended for children less than 6 years of age.
- Make sure you take other prescribed medicines atleast one hour before taking cholestyramine as the drugs may affect absorption of cholestyramine.
- Avoid alcohol intake while taking this drug as it may increase the level of cholesterol in the blood.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for CHOLTRAN
Q.Is cholestyramine safe?
Cholestyramine is relatively safe if used as prescribed. In case of any side-effects, please consult your doctor
Q.Is cholestyramine used for diarrhea?
Yes. Cholestyramine is used to treat diarrhea associated with various diseases
Q.Is cholestyramine a statin drug?
No. Cholestyramine is a bile acid-binding resin, not a statin drug
Q.Is cholestyramine gluten-free?
Yes. Cholestyramine is gluten free. However, please refer to package insert of the prescribed brand before use
Q.Can I take cholestyramine with Imodium?
Cholestyramine may be taken with Imodium (loperamide) if prescribed by your doctor
Q.Does cholestyramine cause constipation, diarrhea, gas, hair loss or increased triglycerides?
Cholestyramine is expected to cause side-effects such as constipation and gas. It is not expected to cause diarrhea, hair loss or increased triglycerides. If you notice any such changes, please consult your doctor.