SALT INFORMATIONCefixime(100 mg)
Cefixime is used to treat a variety of bacterial infections, particularly those of the ear, nose, sinuses (sinusitis), throat (pharyngitis, tonsillitis), chest and lungs (bronchitis, pneumonia), and the urinary system (cystitis, kidney infections).
How it works
Cefixime is a cephalosporin antibiotic which acts by inhibiting bacterial cell wall (outer coating of bacteria) synthesis and killing the bacteria, thereby reducing the infection.
Common side effects
Allergic skin rash, Diarrhoea, Shortness of breath, Difficulty in swalloing, Headache, Itching, Stomach upset, Vaginal infection, Vomiting, Wheezing
- Take caution when taking the medicine if you have liver or kidney disease or history of anemia.
- Take the tablets whole with a glass of water with or without food or milk. Do not crush or chew the tablets.
- The medicine works best if taken with meal or within 30 minutes of a meal.
- Talk to your doctor if you have kidney problems, inflammation of colon (colitis) or if you are taking medicines to thin the blood (e.g. warfarin).
- Do not take cefixime if you are allergic to it or to any type of cephalosporin or penicillin drugs.
- Do not take cefexime if you have allergic reaction (rash, swallowing or breathing problems, swelling of lips, face, tongue and throat).
- Do not give cefixime to a child less than 6 months of age.
Frequently asked questions
Q. What is cefexime and what is it used for?
Cefexime (also available as Topcef/ Taxem/ Mahacef/ Zifi/ Suprax) is a cephalosporin antibiotic used for a variety of infections of the throat, chest and urinary tract and infections like typhoid or gonorrhea.
Q. Is cefixime same as penicillin?Does it contain sulfur?
It is not penicillin and does not contain sulfur.
Q. Is cefexime safe?
Cefexime is relatively safe in prescribed dose and for prescribed duration as advised by your doctor. However, consult your doctor before taking cefexime in case of pregnancy, breast-feeding or in children.
Q. Can I take cefexime with food?
Cefexime can be taken with food or milk.
Q. Does cefexime affect birth control?
There is no evidence of cefexime affecting contraception. Please consult your doctor to confirm whether you require a secondary birth control measure while taking levofloxacin.