SALT INFORMATIONCefuroxime(500 mg)
Cefuroxime is used to treat any bacterial infection of the respiratory tract , kidney and urinary tract, and certain parasitic diseases. It is also used as preventive measure before eye or tooth extraction surgery to reduce infection of the internal coats of the eye (endophthalmitis).
How it works
Cefuroxime belongs to group of medicines called cephalosporin antibiotics. It kills the bacteria by interrupting the bacterial cell wall (outer coating of bacteria) formation. As a result, the bacterial cell wall is weakened and ruptured, thereby killing the bacteria.
Common side effects
Cough, Muscle pain or stiffness, Dizziness or drowsiness, Accumulation of gas, Upset stomach, Mild diarrhea, Muscle pain, Joint pain, Nausea and vomiting, Upset stomach, Skin rashes, Stuffy nose, Headache
- CEFUROXIME AXETIL 500MG TABLET(10 Tablet in Strip)Jan AushadhiRs. 17.63/TabletRs. 176.28save 73% more per Tablet
- CEFTUM 500MG TABLET(4 Tablet in Strip)Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals LtdRs. 86.25/TabletRs. 345pay 33% more per Tablet
- ZOCEF 500MG TABLET(10 Tablet in Strip)Alkem Laboratories LtdRs. 55.70/TabletRs. 557save 14% more per Tablet
- CEFAKIND-500 TABLET(10 Tablet in Strip)Mankind Pharma LtdRs. 26/TabletRs. 260save 60% more per Tablet
- CETIL-500 TABLET(6 Tablet in Strip)Lupin LtdRs. 77.92/TabletRs. 467.50pay 20% more per Tablet
- Be sure to use cefuroxime for the full course of treatment as prescribed by your doctor. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Take cefuroxime tablets after food or milk for optimum absorption.
- Do not drive because you may feel sleepy or dizzy while being treated with cefuroxime.
- Cefuroxime can make birth control pills less effective, which may result in pregnancy. You may need to use another form of birth control during treatment with cefuroxime.
- Do not start or continue the cefuroxime tablets and consult your doctor, If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Does cefuroxime/ Ceftum/ Zocef/ Pulmocef contain sulfa or a form of penicillin drug?
Cefuroxime (also available as Ceftum/ Zocef/ Pulmocef) belongs to cephalosporin antibiotics and does not contain sulfa. However, its chemical structure is similar to penicillin.
Q. Is cefuroxime gluten free?
Yes. Cefuroxime is gluten free. Please refer to package insert of the prescribed brand before use.
Q. Can I take cefuroxime with acetaminophen/ azithromycin/ doxycycline/ ibuprofen/ Nyquil (acetaminophen/ dextromethorphan/ doxylamine/ pseudoephedrine)/ Sudafed (pseudoephedrine hydrochloride)/ Xanax (alprazolam)?
Yes. You can take cefuroxime with acetaminophen/ azithromycin/ doxycycline/ ibuprofen/ Nyquil (acetaminophen/ dextromethorphan/ doxylamine/ pseudoephedrine)/ Sudafed (pseudoephedrine hydrochloride)/ Xanax (alprazolam).
Q. Is cefuroxime/ Ceftum safe during pregnancy?
Studies in animals have shown no risk to the fetus; however, there are no sufficient studies in pregnant women. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.
Q. Can I take cefuroxime with alcohol?
There is no evidence of any interaction between cefuroxime and alcohol. Always consult your doctor regarding its use.
Q. Is cefuroxime safe?
Cefuroxime is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. Is cefuroxime a sulfa drug/ penicillin/ steroid/ an antibiotic?
Cefuroxime is an antibiotic belong to class of medication called as cephalosporin. It is not a steroid and does not contain penicillin or sulpha.