Medicine Overview of Alphalan Tablet
Uses of Alphalan Tablet
Alphalan 5mg Tablet is used in the treatment of multiple myeloma.
Side effects of Alphalan Tablet
Nausea, Vomiting, Stomatitis (Inflammation of the mouth), Anemia, Hair loss, Reduced blood platelets, Diarrhoea, Decreased white blood cell count.
How to use Alphalan Tablet
Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Swallow it as a whole. Do not chew, crush or break it. It is better to take Alphalan 5mg Tablet empty stomach (1 hour before food or 2 hours after food).
How Alphalan Tablet works
Alphalan 5mg tablet is an anti-cancer medication. It works by damaging the genetic material (DNA) of the cancer cells and stops their growth and multiplication.
In Depth Information on Alphalan Tablet
Expert advice for Alphalan Tablet
- Melphalan to be taken on an empty stomach 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. Drink at least two to three quarts of fluid every 24 hours, unless you are instructed otherwise.
- You may be at risk of infection so try to avoid contact with people with cold, fever or any other signs of infection.
- Avoid exposure to sunlight. Use sunscreen lotion and protective clothing.
- You may be monitored periodically for complete blood counts (at least one determination prior to each treatment course) during the course of treatment.
- Melphalan may increase the risk that you will develop other cancers. Talk with your doctor about the risks of taking melphalan.
- Do not take live vaccines if you are an immunocompromised patient.
- Use of melphalan is not recommended in children.
- Use with melphalan extreme caution if your bone marrow reserve have been compromised by prior irradiation or chemotherapy, or if your marrow function is recovering from previous cytotoxic therapy.
- Use appropriate contraceptive methods to avoid pregnancy during melphalan treatment.
Special precautions for Alphalan 5mg Tablet
Interaction with alcohol is unknown. Please consult your doctor.
WEIGH RISKS VS BENEFITS
Alphalan 5mg Tablet is unsafe to use during pregnancy.+more
There is positive evidence of human fetal risk, but the benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk, for example in life-threatening situations. Please consult your doctor....
There is positive evidence of human fetal risk, but the benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk, for example in life-threatening situations. Please consult your doctor.
Alphalan 5mg Tablet is usafe to use during lactation. Data+more
suggests that the drug may cause toxicity to the baby, or the mother is suffering from a condition in which breast feeding is not advisable....
It is not known whether Alphalan 5mg Tablet alters the abili+more
ty to drive. Do not drive if you experience any symptoms that affect your ability to concentrate and react....
Alphalan 5mg Tablet should be used with caution in patients+more
with kidney disease. Dose adjustment of Alphalan 5mg Tablet may be needed. Please consult your doctor....
There is limited information available on the use of Alphala+more
n 5mg Tablet in patients with liver disease. Please consult your doctor....
If you miss a dose of Melphalan, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not double the dose.
Frequently asked questions for Alphalan 5mg Tablet
Frequently asked questions for Melphalan
Alphalan is not a vesicant but an anti-cancer drug
Alphalan is given by oral or intravenous route; dosing varies by purpose and route of administration as well as patient weight
Alphalan causes hair loss as one of the side effects. but cause for liver damage and neuropathy is not known
Alphalan belongs to class of drugs called alkylating agents. It works by stopping or slowing the growth of cancer cells in your body.
Substitutes for Alphalan Tablet
ALKACEL 5 MG TABLET
Celon Laboratories Ltd