Weight loss is about diet and exercise. Most experts believe that the role of diet is around 70% and exercise is around 30% when it comes to weight loss. And hence, diet plays a key role in helping you to shed your flab and prevent you from putting on weight. So if you are planning to lose weight, then in addition to following your gym trainer’s instructions and nutritionist inputs, ensure you include these weight loss foods in your daily diet.
Weight Loss Foods: Do they Really Work?
There are certain low-calorie, high-fiber and protein-rich foods that can help you to lose weight. However, it doesn’t mean that you just eat these foods and not exercise. In fact, these foods can aid in weight loss when eaten in moderation. These weight-loss friendly foods are loaded with nutrients and antioxidants which help you to keep a tab on your caloric intake, make you feel full, prevent you from feeling hungry and provide you energy for a long time.
Here is a list of top 7 weight loss foods you must stock in your kitchen and include in your diet every day without fail to lose weight.
1. Eggs: Unlike popular belief that eggs, especially egg yolk, is not good for the health, studies have shown that it doesn’t affect your blood cholesterol level nor does it put you at risk of heart disease. In fact, eggs are rich in proteins and healthy fats and low in calories, which make it a weight loss friendly food. Moreover, starting your days with boiled eggs is a good idea as it keeps you feeling full for a longer time.
2. Cruciferous vegetables: Most of us stay away from cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower. But if you want to shed some extra pounds, it’s time to include these foods in your diet. These vegetables are high in fiber, contain a good amount of proteins and make you feel full, which makes it a healthy weight loss food. So include broccoli as a part of your salad or add some cauliflower in your vegetable portion to include these veggies in the daily diet.
3. Potatoes: Who said potatoes are fattening? Well, boiled potatoes act as a perfect weight loss food. It is rich in nutrients like potassium, which help you to keep your blood pressure in control. Potatoes rank high in satiety index, which is the measure of how filling the foods are. Boiled potatoes contain a fiber-like substance which not only aids in weight loss but also keeps you healthy. Moreover, eating boiled potatoes in moderation and not fried ones are known to make you feel full and prevent you from eating unhealthy foods.
4. Lean meat: If you are a non-vegetarian, then adding lean meat to your diet is the best thing you can do to lose weight. Known to be one of the best weight loss foods, lean meat is loaded with protein. Eating a high protein diet not only fills you up but also helps you burn calories. Studies have shown that increasing the daily protein intake by around 25% can cut down your cravings (including late night snacking) by 60%. Moreover, it can also cause weight loss of around half a kg per week.
5. Salmon: Most people are unaware of the fact that fish is one of the best sources of protein and healthy fats. And salmon is such fish which is not only healthy in nature but is also considered as a healthy weight loss food. It is not only low in calories but also keeps you full for a longer time. Moreover, it contains iodine which is needed for proper functioning of the thyroid gland and thus, our metabolism. Include salmons in the baked form or as curries and not fried form to reap its weight loss benefits.
6. Leafy vegetables: Everyone of us know that leafy vegetables are good for health but how many of us actually like eating leafy vegetables? But for people who are on a weight loss regimen, including leafy vegetables in the diet, every day can actually help in weight loss. It is known to be the best weight loss food as it is low in calories, high in fiber and low in carbohydrates. Moreover, eating green leafy veggies can help you keep a tab on your calorie count without causing you to put on weight. Include leafy vegetables either in the form of salad or as soups to satiate your hunger and keep you feeling full.
7. Whole grains: It is commonly believed that cereals and grains are not healthy for people planning to lose weight because of high carbohydrate content. However, it is not true. Whole grains such as oats, quinoa, and brown rice, which contain good amounts of fiber and protein can help you lose weight. Oats contain soluble fibers known as beta-glucans which are shown to improve satiety and increase metabolism. So if you want to lose weight, replace refined grains with whole grains to help you eat healthy and prevent weight gain.
However, to reap the benefits of these weight loss friendly foods, it is important to follow few tips. Always eat in moderation because an excess of anything can not only cause weight gain but also affect your overall health. It is advised to use less oil while cooking food. Moreover, also monitor your intake of sugar and salt, which can add calories to your diet. Try different cooking methods such as boiling, baking, sauteing and grilling as it not only uses less oil but also helps you to cut down on your caloric intake and aid in weight loss.
(The article is reviewed by Dr. Lalit Kanodia, General Physician)